Sunday, March 16, 2008

From Tournament Drama to More Tournaments!

So it's been a while since my last post, and TONS has happened since then. The tournament took place, and I was right on 1 1/2 of my game predictions. In the first game, we won by over 20 (27 to be exact!), but we played Colorado State instead of Wyoming. Who knew the Rams could pull off their first conference victory of the year in the tourney? Good for them. My second game prediction was pretty much -on if I do say so myself. The game against San Diego State was pretty close, with the lead changing multiple times throughout, but the Cougars won by 9. And finally, I was unfortunately very wrong in the championship game prediction. :( Although BYU came out to lead by as many as 11 in the first half, but the crowd and the 3 other UNLV players, aka the refs, got the Rebels back in the game and they won, 76-61.

I would really like to know what would happen if the Cougars and Rebels played on an actually neutral court in the tournament, not UNLV's home court. Ya sure, people can say it wasn't really their home court because I mean, hello, instead of saying Rebels on the court it says the Mountain West Tournament, AND there were BYU fans there! How could it possibly be their home court if they were wearing the dark jerseys? Okay, well I don't think people realize what a good thing familiarity is. To be able to practice and play at the same place they've been playing all year, to sleep in their own beds, and to use their own locker rooms seems pretty home-courtish to me. Maybe everyone has forgotten the 74-48 BYU blowout they handed to the Rebels in Provo. Obviously home-court has a lot to do with it, but that's just me. I'm not saying the Rebels aren't good, and that's just the thing! If they are good, it makes the whole thing even less fair.

Not to mention, the Rebels barely escaped with their lives in the first round, winning by one point over TCU on a crap-foul call. Yeah, that still makes me mad. On top of all that, the Rebel fans are the most classless people on the face of the planet. After the game, they rushed the court after repeatedly told not to, then started riots by literally picking fights with the BYU fans. I heard one story where there was a pregnant woman crying in the bathroom because her husband was all y out in the hall after getting punched in the face. That's what you get when you sell alcohol mixed with losers. Now that I've vented a little....

On a better note, Lee Cummard made the all-tournament team after his 19 and 20 point performances in the first games, followed by a not-so-great but still good 11 points in the championship. AND the Cougars set tournament records in the game against Colorado State for highest margin of victory(27), and highest field-goal percentage(65.2%).

On to Selection Sunday:
The Cougars ended up in the Western Region as an 8-seed facing the 9-seed Texas A&M this Thursday. I'll admit I'm a little disappointed, especially because UNLV also received an 8-seed. BYU overall is much better and had a much better season--but at least they didn't get any better, that would have really been stupid. Alas, the Cougars are going dancing for the second year in a row, and I know they can win it! I can't wait for Thursday!

Go Cougars!!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I am sorry they didn't go further, aimers, not matter what i said at dinner tonight! ;-)

Amanda said...

Too bad. We'll get out of our losing streak with in the next thirty years or so, I predict. :)

Aimee said...

Ya thanks Wendy, I appreciate your positive attitude. And Amanda, how do you even call yourself a BYU student? Why are you even there? DO you mean the tournament losing streak?