Friday, June 19, 2009

Take this job and shove it

Sometimes I just wish I didn't have any choices and would just be told what I should do. Like right now would be good. Please.

Registration for classes at BYU is coming up and I'm trying to decide what direction I want to take major-wise. I know most people just take generals at first and then decide, but my goal is to graduate in less than the standard four years because of my AP credits and all. Isn't the goal of taking those tests and classes to save money in the long run? If I still take four years, then what money does that save? I'll feel like it was all a waste, and I have more than a year worth of credits.

I always thought it would be easy to decide, with my interest in broadcasting and recent internship at BYU Radio. Communications major, check. My internship made me realize it takes a lot more writing than I could have imagined. I don't hate writing, I just don't love it I guess. Job security/availability wouldn't be great, and I would have to go wherever the job was. I would also have to take all of the prerequisites(mostly writing) and do well before even getting in to the communications program. If I don't get in, those nine credits are down the toilet and it's back to the beginning.

If I don't want that, just choose something I do want right? Problem. I have read through the list of majors countless times and the only other thing that appeals to me in the least way is Physical Education. Random yes, and I always swore I would never be a teacher. But most of the majors I have no idea what I could do with it. I only think of regular jobs like a teacher. What kind of job could I get with a degree in Home and Family Living? I think that's my main problem.

I know I'm probably over-analyzing, but this is my future we're talking about!

Hopefully I'll marry into the money and never have to work...yep sounds good;)

1 comment:

amanda said...

been there, analyzed that. read blogs from early 2008. yep. it stinks to know ap credits were kind of useless because I took about...a whole semester worth of classes for a major I didn't get into. It's okay. Just roll with it.