Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Take a Bow

The MWC post-season awards came out a few weeks ago, but I'm still really excited and relieved about a certain selection.
First Team All-Conference:
G Brandon Ewing SR, WYO
G Jimmer Fredette SO, BYU
G Lee Cummard SR, BYU
F Tony Danridge SR, NM
C Luke Nevill SR, UT

I was so extremely excited when I found out Jimmer made first team! I knew he deserved it hands-down, but I thought the voters would be dumb about it and not give it to a sophomore as well as to two BYU players. If he didn't get it I would have punched a few people. He was second in scoring and assists during conference play, and single-handedly led his team to victories on several occasions. Additional BYU awards:
F Jonathan Tavernari JR--third team all-conference
Jackson Emery SO--conference all defensive team

Out of the first, second, and third all-conference teams as well as the all defensive teams, there were only three non-seniors. All of them were from BYU! Not only were they amazing this, year next year will be even better. Losing Lee Cummard will be tough, but replace him with Mr. Basketball Tyler Haws and the explosive Brandon Davies, and it will be just fine.

I was mad that Luke Nevill won the Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year, though. If I was 7'2", I could get a couple of blocks and dunks every game too. The refs worshipped him, so he rarely was in foul trouble. But the key to winning games against them this past season was just that. Exhibit A:@ New Mexico. He was so frustrated in fact, that he picked catfights with his own teammates. One of the best moments of this whole season. Oh Beaker.

1 comment:

Janet Thwaits said...

I knew when you heard the news that you would be ecstatic, I think I e-mailed you about it. Well, dear, I am so happy you have had such a great Senior Year..I love you so much
Grandma Rick