Sunday, September 7, 2008

Block Party Part II...

I know it's been forever, and I even missed writing about the first BYU football game of the season--I know it's a shocker. Northern Iowa was a great game where BYU could afford to make mistakes to learn from and yet still win easily. As for Washington yesterday, I don't know why but for the longest time I've been so excited for that game cause I just thought it would be a really good one! Turns out I was right. The whole game was intense, starting on the opening drive where the Cougars marched it down to score an Austin Collie touchdown on their first posession. After that, however, the Huskies scored the next 14 points, and we then got another touchdown and ended up tied 14 all at halftime.
Touchdowns were traded again in the 3rd quarter, and the game would have been a lot less stressful if it wasn't for a Harvey Unga fumble in the endzone in the 4th. Not to take anything away from the star running back, because he had well over 100 yards rushing throughout the game, it was just very bad timing. Max Hall did connect with the tight end Dennis Pitta(my new hero and savior of all that is BYU football) who had another stellar game, and put the Cougars up 28-21. That left a little over three minutes on the game clock for Washington to try and score again. They ended up scoring with two seconds left, and their quarterback, Jake Locker, who ran it in was flagged for excessive celebration for throwing the ball about 25 feet into the air. That specific act is mentioned SPECIFICALLY in the rule book, so the refs had no choice but to call it, and it was a good call. All it did was move their extra point attempt 15 yards back, on the 25. So, it was the same as a 35 yard field goal, and for a kicker that's worth anything should almost be automatic. But thanks to the "Janimal" Jan Jorgensen, it was BLOCKED!!! The Washington fans cried and cried about how stupid of a call it was, but it wasn't the penalty that lost the game for them, the Cougars played better the whole time. The only reason it was so close anyway is because BYU brought it on themselves with the fumble and a near pick six. BYU beat them in total yards, pass completion, and heart. So cry all you want, but check off another "W" in the Quest for Perfection!

Other than BYU, I started school three weeks ago, and just started and internship at BYU Broadcasting. I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing yet, since I've only been two days so far, but I'm really excited for it. The best part is after I'm done each day, I can go straight over to the Richards Building or Marriot Center to watch my BYU basketball team practice! Less than two months until the tipoff! Timpanogos football is going great, where I'm the manager/watergirl again this year. That has to be the funnest thing there is at high school. Yeah.

Well, it's time to bring on the Bruins!! Can't wait for Saturday!

No comments: